Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cebu Escapade: Where to go in Cebu?

Being in-front of the computer for the whole-day with no one to talk to but virtual friends will ultimately give you a boring day. Not only that, you become the most-outstanding couch potato not to mention those stored fats due to constant sitting and immobility for the whole day. After this realization, I forgave myself and decided to reward this bum a break at Cebu!



I have been to Cebu for several times. The first one was in 2002 when I attended Lubas, a writing seminar for student journalists. It should be understood that since it was my first travel to Cebu, the first day will be allotted to lots of travel. And the first destination? The Taoist temple.



I got this photo of mine from my old chest and have it scanned. Well of course, during those years, digital camera is not that as famous as we use it today. When you came from Cebu Rotonda, the Taoist temple would be a 20-30 minutes drive with a taxi. The Taoist temple is located in an elite suburb of north downtown Cebu. It opens 7am and closes at 5pm. You might attempt to visit at 5:30pm but it may disappoint you (as I have been just last month) as it closes early to give way for the preparations of the monk for the prayer hours.

Built in 1972, the Taoist Temple is constructed in a highly ornate and, some would say, gaudy style of Chinese architecture, and is topped with a pagoda-style roof and has an elevation of 300 meters above sea level.

Next destination during my first travel to Cebu is the Lapu-Lapu Shrine in Mactan Cebu. I would not forget that moment that my collegues and I tried not to breathe in while passing the Mactan bridge while saying our wish!

The Lapu-Lapu Shrine is a monument that marks the site where Lapu-Lapu (Muslim) purportedly killed Magellan in 1521. Lapu-Lapu's Monument in Mactan Island, was erected in honor of the first Filipino Chieftain who fought for his people's freedom.

Last September 05, 2009, I went back to Cebu to got a relaxing vacation for the weekend. Due to the unpredictable weather that time, I was not able to go to almost all the places in my itinerary. So the malls, Ayala Mall and SM City became my sanctuaries (thanks SM for the free wifi!) Coffee and chats are also great in Ayala during the night and at the IT park!

When sunday came, my bestfriend and I went to Sto. Nino Church, in downtown Cebu. I feel like a vampire trying to avoid the burning rays of the sun.


Since we have nowhere to go before proceeding to airport, we felt the travel like an educational filedtrip as we embrace the history of Christianity in Cebu at the Basilica Del Santo Nino Museum.





After some photo shoot, we went to the Magellan's Cross adjacent to the church.

















Oh before I forgot! Don't leave Cebu without seeing the view from The Tops! You will feel the cold breeze of the wind as you have a wide view of Metro Cebu.


We took a quick lunch in Ayala before proceeding to the airport! Hope you like my latest Cebu Escapade!


0 comments: